Tuesday 5 August 2014

Day 71 - Australia Zoo

Up bright and early, 6am to catch the bus to Australia Zoo. Two girls (Amy and Lotti) from my room were also going so I tagged along with them and their friend Russell for the day. At the Greyhound desk I was convinced to buy my ticket to the zoo as I would beat the queues, got to the zoo and there were no queues apart from the desk for people who had paid in advance 😠.

30 minutes later we're in and considering we had 6 hours on our hands we didn't stop. We saw alligators, koalas, tortoises, iguanas, koalas, snakes, crocodiles, koalas, camels, kangaroos, wombats, tasmanian devils (which look nothing like the cartoon), various birds, koalas, red pandas (I think my favourite), tigers, koalas, rhinos, zebras, giraffes, oh and did i mention koalas, sorry but there were alot of them.

I was worried about the prices for extras (photos) as I'd looked on the website before going, but they do things quite well, lots of handlers walking around with various animals for you to get your photo with and ask questions about. The kangaroos in particular you simple walk around in their section and do pretty much what you like. Caught the lunchtime show with various birds of prey flying around, one with a wingspan of 3 metres. Then the crocodile show which was quite good.

All in all a very good day and a great zoo.

Back on the bus at 4pm to head to my next destination Noosa. Arrived about 6pm, had a quick power nap and went for a walk around.  I've now found the pizza hut (of all places) is the cheapest way to eat, $5 (£3) for a large pizza! Carried on walking down to the beach and along the coast a bit. My hostel is quite a bit away from the coast and I figured out why, the coastal part to Noosa is very beautiful and therefore the more expensive hotels have claimed the coast.

Back to the hostel to rest up for more walking tomorrow.

A great day, one of the best in oz so far!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds a great day, especially being able to interact with the animals, great zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this the zoo with Spot and Stripe the tigers? It was on tv.

    ReplyDelete