Tuesday 12 August 2014

Day 75 - Fraser Island

Picked up at 7.45 from the hostel in Rainbow Beach, a few more pickups including the two girls (Amy and Lottie) I spent the day at the zoo with, small world. Then about a 15 minute drive to the ferry.

Got to a point still on the mainland and the driver says, "this is the lady tarmac you'll see for 3 days", sure enough two seconds later we're out on to the beach and straight on to the ferry.

Off the other side again on to the beach, and we start speeding down the coast feet away from the ocean, pretty cool, we then turn off to a resort for morning tea.

From there we head up to Lake McKenzie, driving along bumpy sand roads, I now know why nothing other than 4x4's are aloud on the island, nothing else would stand a chance. The driver is hurtling down these roads so fast we are lifting of our seats.

We arrive at Lake Mckenzie which is absolutely spectacular, it's purely rain water, no salt at all, and so clear, going for a swim in there was just amazing.

From there we left the people who were just on a day tour and joined up with the rest of our group doing 2/3 day tours. I watched as the others got off their bus, one bloke among them, and I later found out he doesn't speak a word of English. So that's now 14 girls and 2 guys, I think I'm used to that know after my Asia tours.

From there another bouncy drive to our staying point for our walk, we walked about 20 minutes to another lake which was interesting as this one actually had things living in it. From there we continued or walk for another 30 minutes through the rain forest which was nice, meeting up with our guide at other end with tea and cookies.

Another bouncy drive to our second walk, again through the rain forest for about 30 minutes to a stream at the other end which was clear and still it was actually kind of eerie. At that point we had reached Central Station which was where the loggers were based before the island was declared a heritage site, it was quite interesting seeing all the machinery left behind and learning about the didn't types of timber they took and what for, apparently some was used to rebuild London docks after the war. Another 30 minute walk along the steam which was lovely and serene apart from all the girls jabbering on without even taking a look at where they were.

From the back to the resort, we made our way down to the beach and watched the sunset (one of the most beautiful I've seen), while our guide gave out the room keys. Couldn't believe my luck as he said "James you appear to have a room to yourself". Absolutely amazing as just yesterday I was thinking I could do with a night in my own room, although I did get quite a bit of grief of the girls.

Into our rooms, quick showers and down to the Dingo bar for dinner and drinks, got a bit messy as this was the first time I could afford to drink, drinking games, dancing on tables, not sure I'll be able to listen to Mumford & Sons again without laughing to myself.

Absolutely great day and amazing night.

1 comment: