Thursday 24 July 2014

Day 58 - Sydney

Up and out bright and early this morning, 9am for a walking tour of the city. Walked miles and miles already but I'm sure there's things I've missed.

A really interesting tour focusing mainly on the history of The Rocks, lots of cool funny stories behind things. I love the fact that Rum used to be an accepted currency, people were even paid their wages in Rum. Also there are 3 pubs which claim to be the oldest in Sydney, 1 because it's been trading the longest, 1 because it's had its liquor licence the longest and 1 because it's the oldest building, you decide for yourself but I'm going with trading the longest. I didn't know but apparently Harbour Bridge was opened twice, the first was done by a bloke on a horse who rode through the actual opening ceremony and cut the ribbon with a sword (legend), apparently he was protesting that it wasn't being opened by the royal family. They then tired the ribbon back together and cut it again.

Continued walking around after the tour to Mrs Macquaries Point, beautiful views of the Opera House and Bridge together. I then decided to have a slow walk (couldn't walk fast if I tried at the moment) back to the hostel when I passed the Art Gallery of New South Wales and I saw a sign that said free entry, I couldn't pass that up as everything cost so much here. Saw some very nice old artwork including 2 Picassos and some very interesting new artwork, I haven't got a clue what any of it was meant to symbolise, I swear one of them was just the box shelving from Ikea. Very interesting though.

Eventually back to the hostel to book a couple more nights accommodation as I've been told I'd be stupid to leave Sydney before the weekend, so I'll be leaving on Sunday night now. Decided to move for the extra 2 nights though as this hostel is Ok but I'm a bit tired of waking up sweating in the night because they've got the mattresses covered in plastic under the bed sheets and then waking up freezing because I'm covered in sweat. Also there is a rather annoying Italian couple who couldn't give a toss who they wake up when they come in when everyone is very respectful.

Back out this evening as I've been told I need to see Darling Harbour at night. It was Ok, very nicely lit up, but didn't amaze me.

All in all another great day!

2 comments:

  1. Busy, busy, busy. May as well stay and see as much as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd agree, oldest pub is one that's been trading the longest.

    ReplyDelete