Sunday 27 July 2014

Day 62 - Hello Byron Bay and Happy Birthday to me

Arrived at Byron Bay at 6.30am after a sleepless night. So wondered around like a zombie trying to find the hostel, eventually found it and check in isn't until 2pm, so dropped my bags and headed to the beach.

Did a quick check on wifi and had lots of lovely birthday messages including 2 handmade cards and a video from my brother and his family, took Harry seconds to tuck into my cake, bless him.

The beach is absolutely beautiful and I can't think of a better way to start my birthday than watching the sun come up over the ocean. Went for a walk down the beach and the sand was freezing cold, I can only imagine what the water is like, fair play to the early morning swimmers. I've never seen sand so fine either, it's smaller than dust and glistens on your skin like gold flecks.

And I'm definitely not a proper traveller, saw a guy cooking and eating his breakfast on the beach.

Lil and Chris drove down to meet me at 11am, absolutely awesome to see them and catch up. They took me up to the lighthouse, glad they did as I wouldn't have fancied walking up, some amazing views and saw some turtles and whales from the cliff top too. Back down into the town to have some lunch, tried the Australian dish chicken parma, absolutely gorgeous! And had a very nice pale ale, although it doesn't come in pints, you have a schooner, which is about 2/3 of a pint, weird. They very kindly offered me a place to stay so I'll be seeing them in a few days time.

Back to the hostel about 4.30pm to check in. And collapsed in a heap on the bed within seconds.

A really good day and a great birthday!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a good day. Seeing whales and turtles too. S special birthday to remember.

    ReplyDelete